It is the last Sunday of 2009 – and book blogs are a flutter with challenge posts and blogging resolutions. I seem to have joined in the crowd – signing up to the Debut YA Author Challenge, the YA Challenge and the LOTR readalong. I have previously failed miserably with reading challenges, but I hope that by limiting myself to challenges that include books I likely would have read anyhow, I might succeed this time!
Then there are the more general reading plans that have made it into posts. I was inspired by Teresa’s post on Shelf Love where she described her reading plans for 2010. There are a lot of posts like these out there at the moment – Jenny over at Jenny loves to Read is even hosting a Reading Resolutions Challenge where you have back up to help you follow through with your resolutions. Anyhow, it all got me thinking about my own reading patterns.
I don’t want to make these “official” by joining a challenge, but here are a few of my hopes for the next year:
- Stop impulsive book buying! I have mile long wishlists, but the often get laid by the way-side in favour of a bargain. I find books that I really have no real desire to read, but buy them anyways because they are only 50p. My shelves just can’t take it anymore! Just. Say. No.
- Read the books on my shelves! I have some amazing books on my shelves that I desperately want to read… until I get distracted by something new and shiny.
- Not to let my reading slumps affect my book blog. I occasionally get into a reading slump, where nothing I read is inspiring or entertaining. It usually results in me not updating!
- Read The Lord of the Rings! I have conveniently joined a readalong for this particular wish. I have never been able to make it past the first book of LOTR despite my love for the verse (and The Hobbit!). This will be the year that I succeed!
- And, on a less literary note, give up paper cups! I frequent a lot of coffee shops to read and snack – and I often get a to-go cup. It is such a waste, and is so unnecessary!
- 100+ Reading Challenge
- 1st in a Series Challenge
- 2nd Reading Challenge
- A to Z Challenge
- Awesome Author Challenge
- Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge
- Clunkster Reading Challenge (starts Feb. 1, 2010)
- Debut Young Adult Author Challenge
- E-Book Reading Challenge
- Fantasy Reading Challenge
- Finish that Series Challenge
- Flashback Challenge
- GLBT Reading Challenge
- Global Reading Challenge
- Graphic Novels Challenge
- Historical Fiction Challenge
- Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge
- Read Your Own Books Challenge
- Romance Reading Challenge
- Science Book Challenge
- Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge
- Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge
- Thriller and Suspense Challenge
- Twenty Ten Reading Challenge
- Typically British Reading Challenge
- World Religion Challenge
- Young Adult Reading Challenge