In this weekly event hosted by One Persons Journey Through a World Of Books where we discuss what we’ve been reading this week (and, occasionally, what we haven’t).
I had such a mangled reading week: one fabulous book and one epically disappointing book. I had been on a reading high, and now I am way down in the reading dumps… life is hard when you don’t have a good book in hand!
- Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine – This is book 2 in her Weather Warden series and, while I am enjoying it, I remember absolutely nothing from Ill Wind! Who were the bad guys? Why was Jo on the run? When did David become the one-true-love? I wish I had answers to these questions… but apparently one can read Heat Stroke without remembering these details. There’s all new plots to forget!
Finished this week:
- Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs – With every book my adoration of Patricia Briggs grows stronger. Cry Wolf was absolutely fantastic in that “Wow. I am incapable of reviewing this” sort of way!
- The Society of S by Susan Hubbard – After 180 pages of interesting, intellectual writing, Susan Hubbard shoots the book down by making her main character absolutely detestable. I skim-read the rest of this book hoping for improvement… there was none.
Reviewed this week:
- Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik
- The Glass Demon by Helen Grant
- Short stories: Alpha and Omega and The Star of David by Patricia Briggs
Up Next from the TBR pile:
- Oh dear, I don’t know! I know that I want to read Ann Aguirre, Patricia Briggs, Maggie Stiefvater, Kelley Armstrong, and, maybe, some Caitlin Kitteredge… but what should I read? Maybe Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn? I loved her short story Amaryllis and have had the book on my TBR pile for almost 2 years!
So tell me, what have you been reading this week?